I gave the classic lemon slice a make-over.
Just old-fashioned deliciousness and amazing flavour. I can pretty much guarantee you won’t want to make the old version again. Even my husband agreed this is as good as what his grandma used to make – and he is a connoisseur in desserts.
Makes 9 square slices
159 calories per slice (667 kilojoules)
Half a cup shredded coconut
Half a cup wholemeal spelt flour
2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 Tablespoon honey
1 egg white
One third of a cup honey/maple syrup mixture (half and half)
Juice and zest of one lemon
One eighth of a teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons wholemeal spelt flour
1. Preheat oven on 180 degrees.
2. Combine shredded coconut, flour, oil and honey in bowl until well mixed.
3. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan (20x15cm) and bake until light golden brown (10-15 min).
4. Whisk egg, egg white, and the honey-syrup mixture in a large bowl until blended. Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemon; add to egg mixture. Add baking powder and remaining 3 tablespoons flour. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour lemon mixture over cooled base. Bake until set and edges are light brown (about 15-20 minutes).
6. Cool and lightly dust with icing sugar using a mesh strainer. Slice into squares.
For an extra bit of fancy, you can combine ricotta with some maple syrup and lemon zest to serve on the side. Greek yoghurt would also be divine!
Go do yourself a favour and make a batch of these. Then hurry right back and come and tell me how you liked them. I will be a very happy girl.