One of my friends popped over last week during her lunch break for a quick catch-up and a debrief of how her wedding plans are coming along (I’m her bridesmaid – yay!).
She already had her lunch packed, so I thought what better way than a perfectly brewed pot of tea to try and keep my friend here as long as I can (muahahaha).
As I was looking over my selection of teas deciding on which one to make, I got thinking about the custom of drinking tea and the benefits that come from it.
All set up for tea time with my bestie
Tea is believed to be the most popular drink in the world, after water. The british alone consume 165 million cups per day or 60.2 billion per year. That is a lot of tea! So what are the benefits? I’m glad you asked…
- Antioxidants – helps us fight free radicals (nasties that causes cancer/disease/ageing)
- Less caffeine – an average cup of coffee contains 135mg of caffeine whereas tea only has 30mg per cup
- L-theanine – an amino acid in tea that keeps us calm yet allert and enhances our mood. Who needs coffee?
- Fat burner – clinical trials have shown that green tea raises metabolism and speeds up fat oxidation!
- Studies have shown that people who drink tea have stronger bones possibly due to the polyphenols found in tea.
I can go on and on about how good tea is for you because there are just so many benefits!
But if there is only one thing I want you to get out of today it would be to:
Drink more tea, not coffee! Savour it, enjoy it and think of how your body is going to love you for it!
It really is a humble cup…quite frankly I think it deserves a gold medal!
Question of the day:
What is your favourite tea?
Mine is Rooibos, a traditional South African tea that is grown only in the highlands of the Cape region. It means “Red Bush” if directly translated and it is a dark warm red colour when brewed. It is naturally sweet and it has MANY health benefits. Just talk to your fellow South African friend and they will tell you…
My favourite way to drink Rooibos in summer – Rooibos Iced Tea Cooler. You will love it!